The Perfect Stone Flooring For Your Patio
Stone floors are one of the few types of floors that work just as well outdoors as they do inside.Of course, that doesn't mean you should be careless with your exterior decorating! How you use your patio and outdoor space will dictate the type of stone flooring that's right for your backyard.
Choose your favorite backyard activity and go from there:
- Swimming in the pool: Water resistance is key for stone flooring that surrounds your swimming pool. Try slate floors with a non-skid finish if you're going to have mostly adults around. Pool areas with children will be better suited to a less gritty surface, and one less likely to skin knees and shins if they get rambunctious.
- Barbecuing: Brick flooring is a tough, utilitarian choice that can stand up to the high traffic of an evening barbecuing outdoors in the summer. Make sure your brick floors are treated with a stain resistant sealer just in case you get a little overenthusiastic with the barbecue sauce.
- Relaxing: If you spend a lot of time outside, chances are you live in a fairly temperate area. Warmer climates are ideal for attractive Saltillo or terra cotta stone floor tiles, so kick back with a favorite beverage and enjoy the warm night in peace.
- Enjoying the view: Integrate your outdoor stone flooring with the land around you for a special touch. Try a mosaic tile design in earth tones to pick up the surrounding landscape, or add subtle accents in sunset or floral shades to your outdoor décor.
- Taking a dip in the hot tub: More grown-up pursuits deserve sophisticated flooring. Try ceramic tiles in interesting patterns surrounding your hot tub for a space that looks as good as it feels.