There are several steps you can take to help maintain your cork floor besides regular maintenance.
- Use a doormat outside to collect any dirt, moisture or other abrasive substances that can harm your floor.
- When mopping use a damp, not soaking wet mop and keep liquid off the floor as much as possible. Liquids can make the seams swell or ruin your subfloor.
- Felt floor protectors on furniture are always recommended to reduce scratching or gouging.
- Cork floors are affected by direct sunlight and are prone to color fading. Keep blinds closed and direct sunlight off the cork floor on sunny days when possible or install UV protection on your windows.
- Keep large animals with long nails off the floor as they can scratch and damage the cork.
- If you are moving appliances or heavy furniture never slide them across the floor.