AC ratings are a standardized measure used by The Association of European Producers of Laminate Flooring (ELPF). The rating is based on abrasion resistance, impact resistance, resistance to staining and cigarette burns, and thickness swelling along edges on a scale of 1-5.
- AC1 is the least durable and is suitable for residential areas that have low traffic, like bedrooms or basements.
- AC2 is slightly more durable and is suitable for residential areas that have low to moderate traffic, like living rooms and dining rooms.
- AC3 has moderate durability and is suitable for both residential and commercial areas. It can be used in a variety of areas such as small offices, lightly-trafficked commercial locations, residential kitchens, etc.
- AC4 has above average durability and is also suitable for both residential and commercial areas. It can be used in higher traffic commercial areas such as busier offices and restaurants.
- AC5 is the most durable, and is recommended for very high traffic commercial areas like department stores and public buildings.