There are several steps you can take to help maintain your linoleum floor.
- Use a doormat outside all exterior doorways to collect any dirt, abrasive materials, moisture or other substances that can harm your floor. The more these materials come in contact with your floor, the less it will shine.
- Use felt pads on furniture to reduce scratching or gouging.
- Linoleum floors are affected by direct sunlight and are prone to color fading. Keep blinds closed and direct sunlight off the linoleum floor on sunny days when possible.
- Keep large animals with long nails off the floor and other sharp objects as they can scratch and damage the linoleum.
- Keep liquids off the floor as much as possible. They can leak through seams damaging the linoleum and the subfloor.
- When moving appliances or heavy furniture, never slide them across the floor.
- If you notice an opened seam, close it as soon as possible according to the manufacturer’s recommendations to prevent further damage.