Bamboo flooring is considered eco–friendly since it's made from a renewable resource. In addition to being "green,"
stronger bamboo floor types are available.
Strand woven bamboo flooring, for example, can withstand a high level of wear and tear without damaging, which may make it an
ideal surface for your active kids. You can install
strand woven bamboo flooring in your child's bedroom, living room and in areas kids most frequently visit.
- Can be refinished when scratched or stained
- A hard urethane finish can help increase scratch resistance
- Some bamboo types (such as strand woven bamboo flooring) are very durable and can handle a lot of wear and tear
- Most bamboo flooring is considered environmentally friendly (though this depends on production and harvesting
- Softer bamboo types can be scratched and dented by dropped toys, etc.
- Can crack or warp with significant humidity change
- Can be a hard and uncomfortable for kids to play on
- Can be slippery when wet
Kid–Safe Flooring Tips – Bamboo Flooring
- Choose a more durable type of bamboo flooring, such as strand–woven
- Clean up spills, dirt and debris immediately
- Protect your subfloor with an underlayment or moisture barrier such as cork or foam rubber
- Use non–slip area rugs* or mats in running paths or other high–traffic areas to help minimize damage and
increase the longevity of your floors
*Ensure that area rugs allow floor to breathe and are not rubber–backed as this can cause staining