Linoleum floors are not only durable and allergy resistant (hypoallergenic), they are also environmentally friendly.
Linoleum floors are made from natural resources that are
recyclable and sustainable*. Start your kids out on a lifetime of green living by choosing linoleum floors for your home.
*Sustainability refers to products made from renewable and nearly inexhaustible resources.
- Durable, hard surface resists most scratching
- Most spills are easy to wipe up
- Hypoallergenic qualities make linoleum a good choice for kids with allergies
- Antimicrobial (resistant to mold, fungi and bacterial growth)
- Environmentally friendly
- Can be relatively warm underfoot
- Offers a wide range of design options to suit a variety of living
- Linoleum flooring can't be refinished, only replaced
- A smooth finish may make for a slippery surface
- Although durable, can still be scratched or gouged
Kid–Safe Flooring Tips – Linoleum Flooring
- Immediately clean up all spills, dirt, and debris
- If installing click–and–lock linoleum flooring, protect the subfloor with a moisture barrier or underlayment
such as cork or foam rubber
- Choose larger linoleum tiles for fewer seams; fewer seams mean less adhesive (glue), which could contain harmful VOCs*
- Use non–slip mats or rugs in areas where kids frequently run or visit
carbon–based, chemical compounds that outgas from certain flooring products. High exposure to VOCs may result in
headaches, fatigue, breathing difficulty and even increased cancer risk.