Concrete floors are perfect for people looking for low maintenance flooring. You'll have to do very little to keep your
concrete floors looking great! Follow these simple tips for a well–maintained concrete floor.
Prevention and Maintenance
- Periodically dusting or mopping your concrete floors will not only help prevent dirt from building up, but can
ultimately save you from having to do heavy–duty cleaning.
- Regularly wiping mats in doorways can help prevent excess dirt from being tracked in.
- Immediately wipe up spills with a damp cloth.
Care and Cleaning
- Outdoor concrete floors can be cleaned with a broom or a scrubbing brush to remove excess dirt. If they require further
cleaning, wash them down with water from the hose.
- Indoor concrete floors can also be cleaned with a broom or brush to remove surface dirt. For best results, scrub
concrete floors with water and a soft, non-metallic brush.
- Concrete floors that have been properly sealed can be lightly cleaned and touched up with additional sealer in high
- Before cleaning your floor (especially if your concrete floor has been stained), contact the installer for
recommendations on what cleaners to use.
- If a simple scrubbing with water and a brush hasn't worked, clean up dirt by damp-mopping floor with water and mild
- You can restore the shine in dulled concrete floors by buffing them with a commercial polishing compound. If this
doesn't work, try a fine-grit abrasive. Remember to stick to products that are recommended by the manufacturer.
- Stained floors can regain their shine with a simple waxing.
For immediate help from a flooring professional or fellow remodeler, you use our Flooring Forums.