flooring forums

Forums Home > Allergy Friendly Flooring > question about allergies and vacuuming
question about allergies and vacuuming
Replies for question about allergies and vacuuming
msfinnegan
Author Image

Everytime I vacuum the floors in my home my allergies act up.  What can I do to stop this?
MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: question about allergies and vacuuming
Are you using a vacuum with a HEPA filter?  Your allergies are acting up because you are circulating dust and other allergens that are normally on the floor and not in the air.  A HEPA filter will help to reduce allergens in the air.  You may also try opening windows to help air it out.  Hope that helps.
msfinnegan
Author Image

I use a vacuum with a HEPA filter and it doesn't seem to help much.  I clean it frequently beause it gets very dirty.  Is there any other type of filter that is better?
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: December 30, 2008 1:33 PM

You are doing the right thing by using a vaccum with a HEPA filter, but you may want to look into a water filtered vacuum such as the Rainbow vacuum. It traps the contaminates in a water resovoir.

If you have allergies, you definately want to avoid carpet which traps dust mites and other particles. I would replace all of your carpet with hard surfaces such as tile or wood flooring. If you have done that already and have only hard flooring, then make sure the beater brush is turned off when you vacuum. The beater brush may stir up more dust into the air.

Here is a link to the rainbow vac. Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

www.rainbowsystem.com/rainbowsyste...

Also, make be sure to look at our section on allergy friendly flooring:

www.findanyfloor.com/Allergies/All...
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
msfinnegan
Author Image

Thanks to both of you.  I really like the idea of a vaccum with a water filter.  I have a one year old so I am going to wait to get hardwood floors until she stops tumbling so much.  I'm going to look into the rainbow system.  Thanks for you advice. 
MrsKosha
Author Image

You are welcome.  I also think that the Rainbow system will work well for you.  Let us know if we can be of any more help!

Stacey
Our members have made a total of 9992 posts
We have 5577 registered members
The newest member is suzhe345
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>