flooring forums

Forums Home > Borders and Medallions > cutting tile flooring to install a round medallion
cutting tile flooring to install a round medallion
Replies for cutting tile flooring to install a round medallion
baseball_addict
Author Image

How would I go about cutting ceramic tiles to fit around a circular medallion that will be in an entryway?  Thank you.
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: January 28, 2009 3:02 PM

RE: cutting tile flooring to install a round medallion
I am both a tile installer and medallion manufacturer. The best way is to lay the field tiles out underneath where the medallion will rest. Next, place the medallion on top and draw around using a permanent marker. Next, create a numbering system, marking the back of the tile as well as the floor where the numbered piece goes. To make the cuts on a standard wet saw simply make a series of parallel cross cuts about a half inch apart, stopping at the cut line. Then gently break away the cut area and clean up the radius with tile snips and then a grinding stone. You may want to try a few practice cuts before you start. Good luck!

Another alternative is to use a tile bandsaw which will allow you to follow the curve on your cuts, that is if you can find one to rent. The one I use is the Diamond Laser 5000.

Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
baseball_addict
Author Image

Thanks Michael.  That was really helpful.  I will be installing this weekend so wish me luck!  I have done ceramic tile installations in the past, never with a medallion.  Anyways, I really appreciate the advice.
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: January 28, 2009 10:59 PM

Glad I could help. Visit us again and let us know if you need anything else. Good luck on your tile job!
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: January 28, 2009 11:03 PM

I forgot to mention in my first response that I was assuming you are using a chalk line grid pattern to identify where to lay each piece down. Good luck again!

baseball_addict
Author Image

yes, I am using a chalk line grid.  thanks again!
Our members have made a total of 10028 posts
We have 5592 registered members
The newest member is mike10helson
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>