flooring forums

Forums Home > Care and Maintenance > Hardwood > dull hardwood - please help
dull hardwood - please help
Replies for dull hardwood - please help
Rosesarered
Author Image

I purchased my home a few years ago (so I have no idea of the manufacturing instructions).  Loved the hardwood floors.  I've never cared for this type of floor before, so I'm on a learning curve.  When I noticed the floor becoming dull, I used SC Johnson's One Step No Buff Wax floor care.  I noticed on another forum that it wasn't recommanded to use orange glo.  Is the Johnson One step also bad for floors? If so, what do you recommand that I do, since I've been using this product for the past few years.  I reapply the wax about twice a year.
Rosesarered
Author Image

RE: dull hardwood - please help
By the way, I have no idea how the floor was finished. Or what kind of finish is on the floor. All I know was that it was glossy when I first purchased, then after about 6 months, it became dull.
hardwoodpro
Author Image

RE: dull hardwood - please help
Chances are, you have a floor that should not be waxed, and the product that you are using has become built up on your floor.  The wax needs to be removed, and then you will have to find a suitable product that will not cause this problem in the future.  You really should find out what type of finish you have, but I would bet it is polyurethane as this is most common these days. 

To remove the wax there are products that you can buy at a local hardware store.  Also, check out this post for more ideas for removing wax build up.  www.findanyfloor.com/forum/Repair/...

I like Armstrong's hardwood cleaning products.  They are safe for your hardwood floors and will not cause build up.  As long as you get all of the wax off, you should be able to make your floors shine again.  Hope that helps you!
Our members have made a total of 10020 posts
We have 5585 registered members
The newest member is winserps
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>