flooring forums

Forums Home > Care and Maintenance > Hardwood > vinegar and water to clean hardwood?
vinegar and water to clean hardwood?
Replies for vinegar and water to clean hardwood?
thecorkguy
Author Image

Someone told me that a good way to clean hardwood floors is using a solution of vinegar and water.  Is this true?

If so, what is the ratio of vinegar to water that I should use.  If not, is there another easy, homemade method of cleaning hardwood floors?

Thanks in advance!
MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: vinegar and water to clean hardwood?
Though many will argue against using products that aren't recommended by the manufacturer, and I cannot help to agree with them, this is a natural alternative to some of the harsh chemicals that some other products may leave behind on your floors.  While I urge you to use manufacturer recommened products to avoid voiding your warranty, I would rather see you use this than some of the products out there like Orange Glo, Murphy's Oil Soap, or Holloway House Quick Shine that I just posted about here www.findanyfloor.com/forum/Careand...

It's well known that vinegar is a good disenfectant and deodorizer, if you can get past the smell as it dries. 

Use a gallon of warm water and a cup of white vinegar.  Wring out your mop very well as hardwood should only be damp mopped.  Afterwards, you should damp mop with water only to remove as much excess vinegar as possible which will reduce the lingering vingar smell.
RoyC2004
Author Image

I have heard of the possibility of the vinegar eating at the polyurethane being that it is acidic.  I would stick to the manufacutrer recommended solutions.
laurispinoza
Author Image
Posted: April 17, 2015 5:17 AM

to put some vinegar into the water

then clean
I was messed up for a long time. 
www.wowgold2u.com  
Our members have made a total of 10869 posts
We have 5846 registered members
The newest member is guptakomal
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>