flooring forums

Forums Home > Climate Friendly Flooring > tired of cold hardwood
tired of cold hardwood
Replies for tired of cold hardwood
HrlyDvsnRdr
Author Image
Posted: March 16, 2009 6:35 PM

I have hardwood floors and I'm sick and tired of them being cold on my feet.  I have heard of radiant heating that can be installed under hardwood, but now that my floors are installed, is there anything that I can do about it? 
ScottSummers
Author Image

RE: tired of cold hardwood
If you're on a wood floor over a crawl space, you could have a plumber install a radiant heating system through your joists. It would be fairly expensive, but it can be done. Other than that, strategically placed throw rugs can always warm-up a hardwood floor as well as add an interesting design element to a room.

Good luck
HrlyDvsnRdr
Author Image
Posted: March 21, 2009 8:37 PM

I didn't realize that radiant heating could be placed between floor boards.  Can I use both electric or hydronic radiant heating?
ScottSummers
Author Image

To be honest, I'm not sure. I have only seen it done with hot water. You might ask a few electricians in your area if they've ever retrofit an electric radiant heating system. I've never heard of it, but I'm just a floor guy, so what do I know!?

In my area a hot water system with a gas-fired boiler is the most common. 

Good luck. 
HrlyDvsnRdr
Author Image
Posted: March 23, 2009 8:03 PM

Thanks Scott.  I'll look into that.  I appreciate your help!
TampaFlooring
Author Image
Posted: June 24, 2009 7:45 AM

In our Climate-Friendly Flooring section you'll find the pros and cons of the most common floor types in relation to humidity. Before purchasing new flooring for your home, it may be a good idea to first determine your region's humidity level. You may be surprised to know extremes in humidity can have a dramatic affect on certain floor types and result in damage that may be inconvenient and/or expensive to repair. Choose the floor best suited for your humidity level and help increase the longevity and performance of one of the largest surfaces in your home!

Our members have made a total of 10840 posts
We have 5840 registered members
The newest member is samirhussain0618
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>