flooring forums

best non-slip floor
Replies for best non-slip floor
Gayle44
Author Image

I use a cane and I need a non-slip floor. what is the best choice besides carpet?
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: August 15, 2008 3:08 PM

RE: best non-slip floor
Unglazed Porcelain tile would be a good choice. Natural stone would also work well provided you choose one with a honed, rather than polished surface.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Gayle44
Author Image

I was thinking about tile but thought it might be too slippery. I think you may have renewed my interest though. Do they make unglazed porcelain tile that has grooved edges? I was leaning towards hardwood with deep beveled edges as it gives my cane something to catch if I were to start to fall.
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: August 20, 2008 11:18 AM

You can get unglazed porcelain (aka "through-body porcelain") with rounded, slightly beveled edges. This way the grout line will be slightly recessed, forming somewhat of a groove. If you got a perfectly square edge tile the grout joints would tend to be more flush with the tile surface.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
ScottSummers
Author Image

If you're looking for something a bit softer, you might check-out some of the new fiber floors available as well. Many of these would have enough texture to help with traction but are much softer, warmer, and less expensive than hardwood or tile.
Gayle44
Author Image

Michael and Scott, thanks for your suggestions.  I'm leaning toward the tiles that Michael described.  Where can I find more info on fiber floors?  I've never heard of these before.  Thanks again.
Our members have made a total of 9992 posts
We have 5577 registered members
The newest member is suzhe345
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>