flooring forums

Forums Home > Disability Friendly Flooring > carpet for wheelchair user?
carpet for wheelchair user?
Replies for carpet for wheelchair user?
Patino
Author Image

Is carpet a good choice for a wheelchair user?  If so, what type of carpet do you recommend? Thanks.
MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: carpet for wheelchair user?
In some ways yes, and in other ways, no.  Check out this link that goes over the pros and cons of carpet for people with disabilities.  www.findanyfloor.com/Disability/Di...

You can also check out other types of flooring and how they may hinder or help disabled people by floor type here: www.findanyfloor.com/Disability/Di...
Patino
Author Image

I should have looked.  That is so awesome that this site has a whole section dedicated to disability friendly flooring.  Thank you!!
MrsKosha
Author Image

Yes, it is a really neat section.  They have been very careful to ensure that the site is accessible and helpful to everyone, those with disabilities included.  I'm glad that you were able to benefit from the info.  It's a perfect example of why they take the time to do this!
HrlyDvsnRdr
Author Image
Posted: March 16, 2009 6:36 PM

i found that section really helpful too.  Thanks
ChattyLillRn
Author Image
Posted: June 14, 2011 4:47 PM

It has been my experience as a mother of a child in a power wheelchair that carpet is not the best choice.  It is harder on the wheelchair to move about the room as well as with a power chair we once had a giant grease ball leak out of one of the motors and it completely ruined the carpet.  I currently have wood laminate and am in the process of replacing our floors due to water damage from a leaking washing machine.  I am replacing with a higher grade wood laminate and have learned so much from this site.  I'm glad I found it!
Our members have made a total of 4700 posts
We have 3622 registered members
The newest member is rajpbm333
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies