flooring forums

Forums Home > Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Ins... > Carpet > carpet over hardwood (minimal damage)
carpet over hardwood (minimal damage)
Replies for carpet over hardwood (minimal damage)
JakeLittie
Author Image

We are installing carpet over come hardwood that is in decent condition. Is there a way to install the carpet with minimum damage to the hardwood in case we decide to remove it and refinish the hardwood in the future?
DelWallace
Author Image

RE: carpet over hardwood (minimal damage)
Carpet can be installed over hardwood with a minimal amount of damage by carefully installing the wood subfloor tackless strip near the wall. This will leave only small nail holes that can be repaired easily if you go back to the hardwood. Most carpet installers will staple the carpet pad to the floor so it doesn't slip during installation but they can use tape on the surface of the pad and tape it to the tack strip. I have removed many carpets to find nice hardwood flooring underneath.
JimLaeger
Author Image

You could also use a doubleface tape under the padding to help hold it in place which will leave minimal residue on the hardwood floor.
JakeLittie
Author Image

Thanks Jim and Del.  I found both the tackles strips and the double faced tape to use with my installation so my hardwood floor won't be damaged too much.  I appreciate the help!
Our members have made a total of 9992 posts
We have 5577 registered members
The newest member is suzhe345
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>