flooring forums

self-install carpet?
Replies for self-install carpet?
ChrisB
Author Image

Is it possible to self install carpet? Will I need special tools?
Chris
ScottSummers
Author Image

RE: self-install carpet?
It's always amazing to me that many diyers will attempt to install their own vinyl, ceramic tile, laminate, and hardwood floors without a second thought but will balk at the idea of installing their own carpet. The truth is, a fairly minor mistake in a vinyl floor can cost you the entire floor. Ceramic, laminate, and hardwood can also be extremely difficult and expensive to fix if you make a mistake. Carpet, on the other hand, is pretty simple to repair should you make a minor mistake, and with most carpets, a decent installer can perform an acceptable repair for a reasonable fee, should you botch a cut or mis-measure a room. You will need a few specialty tools, (which is why I assume most homeowners are reluctant to try it) but most are available at tool rental companies for a small fee. I say give it a shot. Carpet is the easiest type of flooring ot repair if you make a mistake. Check out www.findanyfloor.com/InstallationG... for detailed instructions. Just make sure you order some extra just in case, die lots can vary considerably from one roll of carpet to the next and you want to be sure you can find an exact match if you need it.
JimLaeger
Author Image

RE: self-install carpet?
Many homeowners elect to self install carpet. Depending on the type of carpet that you have selected, you will need a knee kicker, seaming iron, edge trimmer, power stretcher, razor knife and a stair tool to tuck carpet to the tack strip.
Our members have made a total of 10035 posts
We have 5594 registered members
The newest member is pkarnwal
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>