flooring forums

Forums Home > Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Ins... > Hardwood > Transitions between rooms
Transitions between rooms
Replies for Transitions between rooms
jstyer60
Author Image
Posted: February 8, 2009 11:02 AM

I'm putting hardwood in my upstairs.  I'm starting in my master bedroom then transitioning to the hallway and finally to the other bedrooms.  My question is: What is the best way to transition between rooms and still hold the board lines between rooms and to the stair nose piece? 
hardwoodpro
Author Image

RE: Transitions between rooms
Hi,

I want to answer your question, but I'm confused by what you mean when you say "hold the board lines between rooms and to the stair nose piece"

can you explain please.

jstyer60
Author Image
Posted: February 9, 2009 10:45 PM

I do not want to use a transition piece to cross from room to room.  I want the boards to go continuous from room to room through the hallway.  I will need to reverse the direction of the tongue of the boards to change the direction the floor is being laid.  I'm assumming that I will need to mate a groove to groove on the row of boards when I reverse the tongue.  I'm wondering if this is done using a special process or maybe a tongue insert into the groove. 

Thanks
MrsKosha
Author Image

You would use what is called a slip tongue to mate the two grooves.  Hope that helps!
Our members have made a total of 9992 posts
We have 5577 registered members
The newest member is suzhe345
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>