flooring forums

Forums Home > Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Ins... > Laminate > 90 dgree turn in a hallway???
90 dgree turn in a hallway???
Replies for 90 dgree turn in a hallway???
hammerstriker
Author Image
Posted: March 25, 2009 12:41 PM

What is the best way to do the corner in a hallway?  I don't want to put in a transfer piece, but don't know what method is mosted used.  Do you "parque" that 45 degree line, or just cut a line and line the boards up.

Thanks!
BuffaloChip
Author Image
Posted: March 27, 2009 9:45 AM

RE: 90 dgree turn in a hallway???
Unfotrunately, with laminates, you have to use a T-Moulding to cover the turn. With hardwood, you can simply router a grove and stagger your lengths. But laminate groves are not recreatable with our tools.

Sorry if you don't like the answer.
staceykosha
Author Image

RE: 90 dgree turn in a hallway???
Good Morning,

Thanks for your question regarding laminate. The manufacturers preferred way is for you to keep the flooring going the same direction, meaning as you make the turn the floor still locks together. This is how most people will do it only because it is the easiest and most recommended. If you want to 45 the corners and change direction, you can, but it is much more difficult. What you will need to do is get a laminate router with a nice sharp carbide bit and then spline the edges like you would with hardwood. That means you are gluing at the edges. The critical part here is what you use to cut the laminate flooring. It has to be sharp and perfect as every chip will show.

The 3rd option is to see if Armstrong makes a commercial flat t-molding. This would only be raised about 1/16" off the floor, but would allow you to fasten down the cut edges if you do the 45. I know that WilsonArt laminate makes this special metal t molding for this application, but I am not sure about Armstrong.

I hope this helps. IF you need anything else, please let us know.

Our members have made a total of 10840 posts
We have 5840 registered members
The newest member is samirhussain0618
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>