flooring forums

Forums Home > Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Ins... > Laminate > laminate in my basement
laminate in my basement
Replies for laminate in my basement
Author Image
Posted: October 13, 2008 11:06 PM

My basement subfloor is made of concrete slabs that are grouted like tile. They are somewhat porous and uneven. How, if possible, do I prepare the floor to lay laminate planks over it? Thanks!
Author Image
Posted: October 15, 2008 6:13 PM

RE: laminate in my basement
Depending on how unlevel your subfloor will determine what the best thing to do is. From your question, the best thing I could recommend is to use a self leveling compound that you can get at your local home improvement store. Then, you will want to put a moisture barrier down ontop of the leveler before laying laminate flooring. You can find some great laminate flooring instructions that talk about subfloors and moisture barriers at www.findanyfloor.com/InstallationG...
Author Image
New York, NY
Posted: May 6, 2009 2:40 AM

RE: laminate in my basement
When it comes to choosing a floor type for your basement, your options are somewhat limited.
Less permeable stone floor types such as flagstones, granite and slate can make for a perfect basement floor. Slate tiles, stone tiles and ceramic tiles can all be installed below grade, but like concrete, also need to be sealed.
If you want a basement floor that can withstand a below grade environment and is also eco-friendly, look no further than ceramic tiles. When properly sealed, ceramic tile floors can hold up well to moisture exposure. They can also be made with up to 70% recycled materials such as windshield and used glass bottles. In addition to being as strong or stronger as tiles made with newer materials, green ceramic tiles are often cheaper.
Our members have made a total of 10299 posts
We have 5696 registered members
The newest member is NoranGreen
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies