flooring forums

Forums Home > Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Ins... > Tile > General Questions Re: Ceramic Tile Install
General Questions Re: Ceramic Tile Install
Replies for General Questions Re: Ceramic Tile Install
marose0001
Author Image
Posted: February 28, 2009 5:53 PM

I am planning to hire a contractor to install 2000 SF of 18" porcelain or ceramic tile with 3/16" joints in Las Vegas Home (built 1994), concrete slab, above ground, all rooms including bathrooms.  There is evidence of cracks in slab underneath existing tile in some areas of the house (loose tiles).

Questions:

1.  To save $$, I do not want to cover the entire floor with crack prevention materials, if not necessary.  Would it be fairly safe to cover only the cracked areas with liquid Redguard Waterproofing and Crack Prevention Membrane or Mer-Krete Fracture Guard 5000?  If so, which is preferred -- Redguard or Mercrete?  What is the maximum width of the crack that these products would be suitable for and if the crack width is in excess, what would be the easiest and least expensive solution?

2.  I am considering using Laticrete 253 Gold (Gray Latex Modified) Thinset.  Is this compatible with the Redguard and/or Merkrete?  Would another Thinset be more appropriate?

3.  Are there special considerations when applying tile on the bathroom floors as opposed to other floors in the house?

4.  I am aware of many types of grout sealers available.  Any reccomendations?

Thank you,  Mark
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: March 5, 2009 8:54 PM

RE: General Questions Re: Ceramic Tile Install
To answer your first question, I can only comment on Redgard, since I have not personally used Mer-Krete. Redgard is an excellent product but I cannot recommend using it only over existing cracks as new cracks can develop at any time. Redgard is designed to cover joints up to 1/8". It is not common to find cracks larger than this. If you want to save labor you could use a one step thinset/antifracture combination mortar such as Laticrete which also protects agains cracks up to 1/8". Here is that link.

www.laticrete.com/portals/0/pdf/LA...

If you did need to cover a crack larger than 1/8" I would recommend using Crack Buster Pro crack prevention self-adhering underlayment which protects up to a 3/8" horizontal crack.

Most polymer-modified thinsets will work fine over Redgard, including Laticrete 253 Gold.

When tiling in any bathroom floor, always use a tile with a matte finish as opposed to high gloss. Even matte tiles can be slippery, so always use throw rugs near the shower or tub. Installation technique is the same.

There are many excellent grout sealers available. My favorite is TileLab (Custom Building Products) SurfaceGard penetrating sealer. Make sure you use a penetrating sealer and not just a finishing sealer which just sits on top of the stone.

Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
grandpabush
Author Image

Lots of great info in your post Michael.  I found it very helpful.
Kenny Bush
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: March 23, 2009 9:39 PM

Glad I could help. Please let us know if there is anything else you need.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Our members have made a total of 10027 posts
We have 5590 registered members
The newest member is callgirlindubai
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>