flooring forums

Forums Home > Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Ins... > Tile > need to transition two tile surfaces
need to transition two tile surfaces
Replies for need to transition two tile surfaces
CarlaHicks
Author Image
Posted: August 26, 2008 3:25 PM

I am installing a new tile floor that will butting up against an old tile floor in an interior doorway. The problem is that the old floor is about a quarter inch higher than the new floor will be. The old stuff is really thick. What is the best way to transition from the new floor to the old floor? Thanks!
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: August 26, 2008 11:38 PM

RE: need to transition two tile surfaces
I would recommend using a marble threshold in the doorway between the two floors. You could install it flush with the old tile while being 1/4" higher than the new tile. Marble thresholds come in different varietes such as natural white, cultured (beige or white), and travertine and are beveled on the edges, making a nice transition from one surface to another.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
DelWallace
Author Image

If the new room needs an underlayment you can try to find one that evens out the difference. You might be able to float up to the older floor.
CarlaHicks
Author Image
Posted: September 5, 2008 3:32 PM

Hmm....I never thought about raising the floor to meet the other one. They are two different kinds of tile though, so I would still need some way to transition between the two. I think I will probably take Michael's advice as it sounds like the easiest option. Thanks for your opinions.
Our members have made a total of 10826 posts
We have 5840 registered members
The newest member is samirhussain0618
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>