flooring forums

Forums Home > Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Ins... > Tile > novice tile installer
novice tile installer
Replies for novice tile installer
bleedwater
Author Image

What method do you recommend for a novice tile installer who is tiling a kitchen floor, spacers or chalk line grid pattern? I am a handyman but only installed tile once.
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: August 22, 2008 11:35 AM

RE: novice tile installer
Hello. I have been installing floors for over 21 years and have always used a chalk-line grid pattern, as do most installers. This allows me to see where every tile is going before I begin. I can then make all of the perimeter cuts first. The important thing is the grid is very acturate and perfectly square. If I have a 12 or 13 inch tile I go with 4 tiles per grid square. If it is 16 inch or larger I go with 1 tile per grid square.

If you feel more comfortable using spacers then by all means, do so, but you will need at least two chalk lines that cross each other (perpendicular) to begin your layout. By the way, make sure you remove the spacers prior to grouting. I have seen jobs where the installers left the spacers and grouted over. The grout then pops out in every corner!
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
JimLaeger
Author Image

If you decide to use spacers, do not depend on them keeping your tiles perfectly straight. It is a good practice to keep re-checking the straightness of your rows with a tape or visual inspection by going to the end of the row and looking down it and making adjustments as necessary.
MrsKosha
Author Image

Michael and Jim answered your question.  I agree that the chalk line grid works best.

Here is a link to some free tile installation guides on this site that are very well written.

www.findanyfloor.com/InstallationG...

Our members have made a total of 10035 posts
We have 5594 registered members
The newest member is pkarnwal
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>