flooring forums

Forums Home > Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Ins... > Tile > tile over hardwood directly?
tile over hardwood directly?
Replies for tile over hardwood directly?
Ernest46
Author Image

Hi,

I am planning a new tile installation over hardwood in a craft room.  Can I lay the tile over the hardwood directly, if not what do I need to lay first.  I'm not a very seasoned DIYer, so the more elementary your response, the better.   I don't know all the terminology.  Thanks
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: October 9, 2008 11:47 PM

RE: tile over hardwood directly?
I would not recommend installing tile directly over hardwood planks. Assuming the subfloor is adequate, I would remove the planks, and install a 1/2" thick cement board (called a CBU) to the subfloor with thinset and screws. Then you can safely install tile on the cement board.

forum image
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
harmon_smith
Author Image
Posted: May 1, 2009 1:44 AM

RE: tile over hardwood directly?
You can get vey thin Luan board or like and glue down over the hardwood to make an even surface. You could also use caulk between the cracks if the rest of the floor is even. But if you have any uneveness the tiles may crack. WE also use extra glue to make sure the tiles stick well, just keep it away from the edges to keep from running between the tiles
www.ciciliotandson.com/index.php
Our members have made a total of 10853 posts
We have 5843 registered members
The newest member is stewartcristan
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>