flooring forums

padding a must?
Replies for padding a must?
StacieM
Author Image

I’m on a very tight budget and I need to replace my carpet. A retailer told me that padding is an absolute must. Is this true or can I get by without it?
JimLaeger
Author Image

RE: padding a must?
Padding would be necessary unless you decide on a glue down application. It would be like driving your car without shock absorbers.
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: August 24, 2008 10:41 PM

I would purchase a good quality pad. They are different grades you can purchase but don't cheap out here. Not only will a top grade feel much more comfortable to walk on, but I believe it will help your carpet last longer. Can any carpet pros back me up on this?
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
ScottSummers
Author Image

I heard about a sign above the door in a Southern California carpet store that reads, "Only a rich man can afford cheap carpet." The truth is, with flooring you should always go with the absolute best your wallet will allow. Whether you're talking about carpet, or the cushion under it, heed this advice. I have done warranty replacements where the pad had been down for less than a year and the manufacturer refused to pay for its replacement, but as a rule, always replace the pad when replacing carpet.
JimLaeger
Author Image

Michael you are right on!
StacieM
Author Image

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I've decided not to skimp on the padding.
Our members have made a total of 10021 posts
We have 5585 registered members
The newest member is winserps
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>