flooring forums

Forums Home > General Floor Talk – Eve... > Money Saving Tips > same item #, different brand, different price...what gives?
same item #, different brand, different price...what gives?
Replies for same item #, different brand, different price...what gives?
ManleyJerry
Author Image

I was shopping for carpet and I found two different samples from two different manufacturers that have the same color and item #. One is more expensive than the other. Is there any difference?
RedWings63
Author Image

RE: same item #, different brand, different price...what gives?
It’s probably from the same manufacturer just placed under different brand names. If they look and feel exactly the same and you can see no difference, buy the less expensive one.
ScottSummers
Author Image

Be very careful in this situation. Make absolutely certain that the lesser expensive product is the same quality before you purchase it. I once recommended a certain retailer to some friends who were looking for new vinyl. They found the pattern they liked and asked my opinion. I was familiar with the brand and grade so gave them the o.k. On installation day, however, I was surprised to find that the vinyl they supplied for me to install was the same pattern, but a far inferior quality than the one I had originally looked at. They had found the same pattern at a different retailer for a third of the price. The salesman at the second store assured them that it was good quality, etc. so they bought it. Of course, I had their kitchen torn -up at this point and it was a weekend, so they opted to go ahead and have me install it. A year later, they were already unhappy with their decision. If the less expensive model is only slightly less expensive and you are pretty sure it's the same grade, take the better deal, if it's half, or a third the price, something is up. It can't be the same product. Take a very close look before spending your money.
DelWallace
Author Image

Often a carpet manufacturer will offer 2 competitors in the same town the same carpet with different names on the sample. Some stores may be in a program buying situation that has an exclusive labeling but I have often had the same product at a lower price. You can sometimes look at the photo of the caret installed on the sample board and it will be the same photo.
JimLaeger
Author Image

RE: same item #, different brand, different price...what giv
Most carpet manufacturers sell to carpet buying groups and will label their products differently to try to prevent the shopper from comparison shopping. I would ask the salesperson for the specifications on the product such as pile weight and density so I could make an educated choice.
ScottSummers
Author Image

Not to bite the hand that feeds me, but this has irritated me since I first got into the business. It only seems fair that consumers should be able to comparison shop. If a business owner decides to spend the money to join a buying group to get a better deal on certain products, they have every right to do so and pass the savings on to the customer. It doesn't seem fair to me to change the name of the product for another retailer so they can sell it for more money without the customer catching-on. I suppose it is a way to keep large buying groups from forcing the small shop owner to join or go out of business, but does anyone else think this is a raw deal to the consumer from the industry as a whole?
Our members have made a total of 10027 posts
We have 5590 registered members
The newest member is callgirlindubai
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>