flooring forums

expansion joints for tile
Replies for expansion joints for tile
StBernard
Author Image

Hi, my husband and I recently hired a crew to tile our entire house using porcelain tile. They are grouting in a few days but they are telling me I need to have expansion joints every 20 feet or so which will be filled with a matching caulking rather than grout. I am worried it won’t look the same as the rest of the grout. Are these expansion joints really necessary and won’t it look funny?
-Reynolds
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: August 19, 2008 8:22 PM

RE: expansion joints for tile
Hello. Yes it is imperative that there are sufficient expansion joints. This means that every 20 feet or so the grout joint should be filled with a flexible caulking rather than grout. If this is not done, you run the risk of having some of your tiles pop up from the expansion (a condition known as "tenting"). The good news is that many grout manufacturers are making a line of sanded caulking to match their sanded floor grout so the difference should be minimal. Still, you may notice a slight difference so the key is to place the expansion joints in less visible areas such as doorways or in a spot where furniture will be placed. So help your crew decide where to place them. That is actually a sign of a knowledgeable tile crew if they are suggesting expansion joints. Just make sure they use a brand of grout that has matching grouts (TEC, Custom Products, or Mapei, along with many others have matching caulking). If you are using black or white grout, however, you can simply use a generic caulking.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
StBernard
Author Image

Michael, thank you so much for your insight. I feel a lot better about it now. I consulted with my installer and we planned out where the gaps will be so that I will be able to cover them with furniture. He also assured me that he would be using a product that matches the grout actually made by Custom Product, the brand you recommended. Thanks for putting my mind at ease!!
-Reynolds
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: September 14, 2008 5:32 PM

Glad I could help put your mind at ease and that everything worked out to your satisfaction.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Our members have made a total of 10869 posts
We have 5846 registered members
The newest member is guptakomal
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>