flooring forums

Maple hardwood: need help !!!!
Replies for Maple hardwood: need help !!!!
SciFi2009
Author Image
Posted: December 25, 2008 12:00 AM

Hi All,

We are going to buy hardwood from lumber liquidators and now I'm doing research on Maple floors. The confusion is that there are different types of Maple that are being sold:

1) Hard Maple or Acer sacharum (botanical name)

2) Norway Maple (Acer platanoides)

The problem is I can not find any information on the second one. The LL site mentiones the Janca rating of 1450 for this maple, which is pretty good I think, but what is the stability? My concern is that Norway Maple is not very stable, and I do know that Hard Maple is less stable then oak. The catalog number for this product is PRMA2S and it ids Builder's Pride by Dura-Wood. Everybody has different opinions on the Maple, including our contractor. That confuses me a lot.

Anyone familiar with this type of floors? Why I can not find any info on a Acer Platanoides? Please help, we are running out of time and have to make a decision.

Thank you,

Brian
MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: Maple hardwood: need help !!!!
Hi Brian,

I haven't tried that type of maple specifically, but from what I've read and heard about it, you shouldn't have any major issues with stability, unless of course, you are installing below grade or in a very humid environment.  Pending that fact that neither of those are your case, you should be fine with either type of maple.  I also noticed that lumber liquidators says Norway Maple is 12% harder than red oak.

Good luck with your decision and let me know if there is any other help I can provide.    If you are going to install this yourself, be sure to check out the hardwood installation guide here  www.findanyfloor.com/InstallationG...
Our members have made a total of 10757 posts
We have 5829 registered members
The newest member is gretafey
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>