flooring forums

best floor with radiant heating
Replies for best floor with radiant heating
coldplay702
Author Image

What is the best type of flooring to use with radiant heating on a ground level home? I was thinking something more unique than hardwood like bamboo or cork, but am open to any suggestions.
MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: best floor with radiant heating
Bamboo and cork are both great choices for your home and can be used over radiant heat as long as the manufacturer recommends it. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
MrsKosha
Author Image

I would prefer strand woven bamboo as it is eco-friendly (when produced and constructed responsibly), and is the most structurally sound construction of bamboo. Cork is a great choice as well as it comfortable underfoot.
stevegetsiv
Author Image
Posted: February 8, 2009 6:47 PM

I realize there haven't been any posts on this topic for a while, but it is an important subject. My company has plenty of experience with supplying solid exotic woods for radiant heat. We commonly recommend 2-1/4" and 3" in Jatoba / Brazilian Cherry, Ipe, and TigerWood.

Sometimes, it is possible to find solid wood material that is selected for grain orientation. Solid wood generally expands and contracts by a factor of 2:1, comparing tangential to radial grain orientation.  Imagine looking at the end of the log and seeing the concentric growth rings. Tangential is along the growth rings and radial is from the very center of the tree to the outside.

Because solid wood will expand twice as much tangentially, if you can orient all the growth ring vertically, the material will be more stable in width - and that's what you want when dealing with radiant heat. The industry terms for this type of grain selection is quarter sawn, straight grain or vertical grain.

There are some resources on the web that list the tangential and radial expansion percentages for many species. You can check out my site at www.novausawood.com for more info.

I hope you find this information helpful. Steve
MrsKosha
Author Image

Lot's of great info.  Thanks Steve! FindAnyFloor will actually be adding a section on radiant heating soon. 
stevegetsiv
Author Image
Posted: February 9, 2009 3:01 PM

Below are listed a select group of flooring species along with the radial shrinkage percentage from green to dry:

Acacia 3.1 %

Amendoim/Ybyarro 4.6 %

American Walnut 5.5 %

Andiroba, Royal Mahogany 3.1 %

Angelim Pedra 4.4 %

Birch 6.5 %

Bloodwood 4 %

Cambara 4.2 %

Cherry 3.7 %

Cumaru 5.4 %

Curupau 4.8 %

Cypress 4 %

Dark Cumaru 5.4 %

Dark Ipe 6.6 %

Dark Red Meranti 3.4 %

Douglas Fir 4.8 %

Eucalyptus 4.6 %

Garapa 6.5 %

Guajara / Moabi 5.9 %

Ipe 6.6 %

Jatoba 4.8 %

Kempas 6 %

Lapacho 6.6 %

Maple 4.8 %

Massaranduba 6.3 %

Purpleheart 3.2 %

Red Oak 4 %

Santos Mahogany 4.2 %

Sucupira 4 %

Tiete Rosewood 4 %

TigerWood 4 %

Walnut 5.5 %

Western Red Cedar 2.4 %

White Oak 5.6 %

The lower the percentage, the more stable the floor. Thanks.
Steve
Our members have made a total of 10771 posts
We have 5830 registered members
The newest member is itubedownloads
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>