flooring forums

Forums Home > Floor Types > Bamboo > advice before putting down bamboo
advice before putting down bamboo
Replies for advice before putting down bamboo
mjginsrq
Author Image
Posted: January 15, 2009 8:08 AM

hi, I live in SW Florida and just went through a slab leak which caused our vertical bamboo to bow. we've now re-piped so that water will no longer run under the slab and have pulled up the bamboo floor. we are now in the drying stage and when that is complete will be laying another bamboo floor down. this time we're going with a strand variety. I will be paying special attention to the preparation of the slab in terms of repairs to cracks and the moisture level. Although I've asked various sources regarding the method of laying down the new floor, I haven't heard an answer that puts my mind at ease. most feel it should be glued but don't really state a reason why I should do this over floating it or in one case, a suggestion that we lay 3/4" plywood down and nail the bamboo. certainly our location should be part of the decision process. it's Florida and it's humid a lot of the time. most of the time we're under AC conditions but we do like to open up the house when the weather permits. like now for instance.

so what are the pros and cons of each method? also, should the slab be prepped in any way with either a vapor barrier or underlay?

which brands of bamboo are deemed better than others?

the floor we had removed was made by Morningstar.

thanks.

MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: advice before putting down bamboo
Hi,

I asked our bamboo expert what his favorite brands names are that carry strand woven bamboo and he said Teragren is #1, Smith and Fong #2, Hawa (if you need a #3)
Your best bet is strand woven, so that is a good choice. Is this concrete slab below grade or above? If it is below grade, I can't really recommend installing bamboo there at all as I have seen bamboo explode in similar conditions.
Assuming that it is on grade, either glue down or floating with a moisture barrier will work. When using the glue down method, the glue acts as a moisture barrier. In you are self-installing, a floating floor with a moisture barrier is usually easiest.

Hope that helps. If you need any more advice please ask. Also, check out this installation guide for bamboo. www.findanyfloor.com/InstallationG... It should be very helpful.

mjginsrq
Author Image
Posted: January 17, 2009 5:12 PM

it is at grade level. do you have any experience with Dansk or EcoTimber brands? 
ichiban
Author Image

In my opinion,Terragren in #1 by far, quality, etc. Dansk isnt bad and neither is eco timber but they cant hold a candle to Terragren in my opinion. Most likely, you would be fine with any of them. Terragren will NOT be the cheapest, but they will be the best. They will honor their warranty and they are easy to deal with.

MrsKosha
Author Image

I agree with what ichiban said.  Terragren is by far superior, but any of the brands you mentioned also have quality products.
mjginsrq
Author Image
Posted: January 21, 2009 8:26 AM

so now I need to decide the method of installation although in some cases like with Teragren Brand, nailing or glueing is the only choice. I still like the idea of a floating floor with a good quality underlay. any thoughts?
Our members have made a total of 10013 posts
We have 5584 registered members
The newest member is bcfloorrestorers
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>