flooring forums

Forums Home > Floor Types > Cork > How do I seal raw cork?
How do I seal raw cork?
Replies for How do I seal raw cork?
MidCenModern
Author Image
Posted: November 10, 2008 9:23 AM

The house I just purchased has cork flooring however the color does not appeal to me. The top protective seal (which contains the color) peels off however I need to seal the raw product. What do I seal the raw cork with?
MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: How do I seal raw cork?
Cork is usually finsihed with wax or a polyurethane finish that also acts as the sealant.  Personally, I recommend using several layers of polyurethane on your unfinished cork floors.

I am assuming you plan to remove the existing coat that is peeling off before trying to apply a new coat. To do this, I recommend that you have a professional come and "sand and coat" your floors. You can do this yourself, but be prepared for the cost of equipment rental added to the cost of supplies.  You should also consider details such as how you will seal off the room to prevent dust from getting in other rooms and how to protect the wet finish from dust, hairs, etc.

You may be considering just peeling off the existing layer rather than sanding the floors, but I caution against that because it's doubtful that you will get all of it out of the cracks and cervices and when you put the new coats of finish on, it may not stick properly to the areas that still have reminants of the old finish layer.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this!

Stacey
MidCenModern
Author Image
Posted: November 11, 2008 10:00 AM

Thanks for the info Stacey. The existing protective layer peels off in nice large pieces so that part should go smoothly. I am finding that Polyurethane is the seal to go with. I will be moving forward on this project shortly. Almost considered replacing the floor completely however this will save me thousands. I Appreciate the help!
MrsKosha
Author Image

You are most welcome.  Glad to help forum image  let me know if you have any other questions.  By the way, cork flooring is one of my favorites....I think you wll be happy with your finished product.
Our members have made a total of 10011 posts
We have 5581 registered members
The newest member is stuartbloom
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>