flooring forums

Forums Home > Floor Types > Hardwood > pre or unfinished??
pre or unfinished??
Replies for pre or unfinished??
Adelia123
Author Image

We are looking at installing hardwood floors in our upstairs loft. I see that unfinished floors are less expensive but I am wondering if that will be true after the end cost of finishing on site. Does anyone know about this?
DelWallace
Author Image

RE: pre or unfinished??
Unfinished hardwood is generally less expensive to purchase but the sand and finish labor price can vary greatly by where you live. I have lived in areas were it was difficult to find an experienced sander and that caused the price to be much higher. The price for sanding would offset the price of material and as with any flooring product you will find some cheaper and some higher priced
JimLaeger
Author Image

This will depend on the species of wood that you have selected. In most cases a finish in place flooring will be less expensive. I would suggest that you get estimates for both.
MrsKosha
Author Image

Do you plan to self install and do the finishing yourself?

If so, some things to consider -

Are you prepared for the dust created by sanding in your home?
Are you prepared for the added cost of renting sanding machines and buying finishing product and tools?
Have you considered the extra time for drying and the fumes that will be created in your home?
Have you considered how you will keep dust, hairs, and other things floating in the air off the floor while drying?
Do you know how to use proper ventilation methods?
Have you considered the time needed to apply several coats of finish?

It's a big task to take on yourself. I don't mean to discourage you, I just want to give you a few things to consider. Is this is a DIY project and you are extra savvy, go for it, but I recommend hiring a pro.

There are so many colors out there, I'm sure you can find something pre-finished to match the color you want. You also get the added benefit of having it finished in a controlled environment minimizing the possibility of error.

If you go the pre-finished route, I recommend a polyurethane finish with several layers preferably with some embedded with aluminum oxide.

Adelia123
Author Image

Thank you everyone for your opinions.  I ended up finding a prefinished hardwood that I fell in love with and it was not that difficult to install.  I also used the installation guide on here which was a big help.  Thanks again for everything.
berr08
Author Image
Posted: December 1, 2008 9:19 AM

Same here!  That installation guide was a HUGE help!  Thanks So Much! forum image
Our members have made a total of 10771 posts
We have 5830 registered members
The newest member is itubedownloads
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>