flooring forums

Forums Home > Floor Types > Laminate > safely remove baseboard without damaging walls
safely remove baseboard without damaging walls
Replies for safely remove baseboard without damaging walls
CraryD
Author Image

How do I remove a baseboard and quarter round to do a repair without damaging them or the paint on the wall?
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: September 16, 2008 10:36 PM

RE: safely remove baseboard without damaging walls
Hello. As a tile installer, I have removed many baseboards over the years. In your case, the goal is to remove it without damaging the wall or baseboard.

The first thing I would do is use a sharp razor knife to carefully cut the caulked top edge of the baseboard, cutting in a gentle, downward angle. This is extremely important, because if you do not cut the caulked edge, you may end up ripping off a thin layer of your drywall above the baseboard!

Next, I would try to remove the baseboard with the quarter round still attached. I like to use a metal putty knife (and hammer if necessary) to pry one end of the baseboard away from the wall. Do this by placing the putty knife on the top edge of the baseboard against the wall. Tap and pry downward until you get a little separation.

Next using a flat pry bar work your way down the wall and pry against the wall section that is BEHIND your baseboard. With a little patience and carefulness, you should end up an intact baseboard. Good luck!
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
CraryD
Author Image

RE: safely remove baseboard without damaging walls
Thanks for the detailed explanation.  You saved my walls from a lot of damage.
obeyhungkul
Author Image
Our members have made a total of 10798 posts
We have 5832 registered members
The newest member is ruhisingh
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>