flooring forums

Forums Home > Floor Types > Stone > Soapstone
Soapstone
Replies for Soapstone
sagehill
Author Image
Posted: November 8, 2008 6:12 PM

Hi- I'm new on here- hopfully someone can help-  I am considering soapstone for countertops and a bathroom tub, shower and floor.  I have seen soapstone but have never used it.  My main concern is scratching.  Just exactly how easily does it scratch? and do the scratches add to the look or detract?  and is this also an issue with floors?  I don't want something that I have to follow my kids around to be sure they don't scratch or stain the stone.  Any thoughts from those with soapstone or who have some experience living with it would be very appreciated-
MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: Soapstone
Hi sagehill,

To answer you question, soapstone is very impervious and dense meaning that it does not absorb water or stain easily making it safe for use in your bathroom.  It can scratch easily, but small scratches are usually easy to repair by sanding or buffing with steel wool .  If you go with a honed finish, small scratches will be less obvious.  My advice is to get a sample tile and put it to the test.  Use different objects to see how easily it scratches.

Hope that helps and also, sorry for the delay on your answer!  I don't know how I skipped over your question, but it won't happen again!
Our members have made a total of 10036 posts
We have 5597 registered members
The newest member is richard58
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>