flooring forums

Forums Home > Welcome - Say Hello > Hi ya'll, I hope ya'll can help me.
Hi ya'll, I hope ya'll can help me.
Replies for Hi ya'll, I hope ya'll can help me.
MAR12345
Author Image
Posted: June 20, 2009 5:51 PM

I moved into an apartment that originally had no-was floors. Last tenant used floor polish or was on the floors.  How can I remove the old polish. It is realy built up around baseboard, etc and horriably unsightful. Looks unclean. Mar12345
ichiban
Author Image

RE: Hi ya'll, I hope ya'll can help me.
You may be able to use a wax remover that is safe for hardwood floors.  Check at your local home improvement store.  After you remove the wax, I recommend using Bona's hardwood floor mop and cleaner to keep your floors shiny and clean.  Here is an article that you may find useful: www.findanyfloor.com/article/Bonav...
MAR12345
Author Image
Posted: June 20, 2009 6:40 PM

Thank you so much for your fast reply.  I called a store and they recommened that I try GooGone Extreme Remover.  I tried some this A.M. around sides of comode and it worked fair but not that great and extreme hard scrubbing.  I have fibromyalgia and really need something less streneous on my shoulders. As for Bono, I have never heard of it or seen it in any local stores.  Are you saying that I can clean linoleum floors like you would hardwood floors.  thanks in advance for your reply. Lindaforum image
ichiban
Author Image

My apologies.  I thought you had no wax hardwood floors.  I haven't dealt with this on linoleum floors, but one my colleagues said 1 gallon warm water mixed with 1 cup ammonia and 1/4 cup of armstrong cleaner had worked in the past for him. Youc an also rent an electric floor scrubber to make the process easier. Hope that helps!
MAR12345
Author Image
Posted: June 21, 2009 10:16 PM

Thank you so much for checking this out for me.  You owe no apologies, I did not give enough information on the floors.  I'm the one to say, I'm sorry.  My sister just told me about the ammonia but I did not know about the Armstrong cleaner.  I will check that out.  I have a large bath, foyer, and large kitchen I have to do.  That's alot of work so anything to help is certainly appreciated.  Thank you again ichiban.  Hope you have a great week and may God Bless You, Lindaforum image
ichiban
Author Image

Glad to help.  I hope this works out for you.  It's a little controversial as many say not to use ammonia on linoleum floors.  Here's what I think.  Ammonia is good at stripping things, so no, I would not use it for general cleaning as it could remove the shine from your linoleum. Also, I'm SURE your manufacturer would probably not recommend this, so if you are worried about voiding a warranty, contact them first.  Anyways, once the damage has been done from the wax, you have to take some aggressive actions to get back to your bare linolem floors, hence the need for the ammonia. One the wax is removed, you can worry about using the right cleaning products to make your linoleum get it's shine back. Keep windows open and ventilate the area well.  Be sure to mop with plain water once you remove the wax, a few times to remove any cleaning product and dry the floors thoroughly.  Good luck and please let me know how this turns out for you!

ichiban
Our members have made a total of 10020 posts
We have 5585 registered members
The newest member is winserps
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>