flooring forums

Forums Home > Green Flooring > all bamboo the same?
all bamboo the same?
Replies for all bamboo the same?
mskennedy
Author Image

Is all bamboo flooring equally environmentally friendly?
MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: all bamboo the same?
There are a lot of factors that actually determine just how 'environmentally friendly' bamboo is. There are some manufacturers that are not using proper methods to ensure that they are not harming the environment during cultivation and production. For example, in some areas, they are clearing forests to create what is called a 'monoculture' in which bamboo is the the only type of plant being grown. They are also using chemical fertilizers or weeders. Some manufacturers are using formaldehyde in their products as well.

That should answer your question, but please let me know if you need any other info.
mskennedy
Author Image

Wow, I'm glad I asked! Thanks for the info MrsKosha
MrsKosha
Author Image

you are welcome forum image
MrsKosha
Author Image

Also, check out the new section on green bamboo flooring here www.findanyfloor.com/Green/GreenFl...
rosilehr1
Author Image
Posted: July 26, 2010 2:33 PM

I hear there are also many bamboo companies that harvest sooner than the 3-5 years it takes to mature and that makes the bamboo weaker and thus warping and buckling can be a problem. THe other thing I heard is that you can not engineer bamboo because of the lineal growth of the bamboo when glued to a backing that has interweaving will delaminate and also cause buckling. The standarizations are different in different countries and some countries are not as strict as the US when it comes to using toxic glues and finishes. Thus VOC issues have been found in some bamboo lines and as stated previously clearing of forest for the heavy demand for a eco-friendly floor.
Our members have made a total of 10006 posts
We have 5578 registered members
The newest member is kewenggmfg
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>