flooring forums

Forums Home > Repair > Hardwood > Need to replace a few boards
Need to replace a few boards
Replies for Need to replace a few boards
julesM33
Author Image

I have hardwood flooring all through my home but some of the areas of the floor are starting to get dented and scratched. I want to replace the boards that look the worst, without replacing the whole floor. Is there a method that I can use to pull up the damaged boards without damaging the rest of the floor?
MrsKosha
Author Image

RE: Need to replace a few boards
It would be good to have a little more information. Do you have any more of the original wood. If you do are the pieces you have exactly the size of the pieces you want to replace. Do you know if the floor is nailed or glued down and what is the subfloor. Replacement may be a little time consuming but it will not require any special tools. Basically, using a circular saw, you need to cut (not quite as deep as the replacement board but very close)the damaged piece out from the corners in at a 45 degee angle and cut the center out as a rectangular box. After you have cut it out you will pry out the center section and tap out the damaged piece from all 4 edges so as not to damage the tongue and groove of the pieces surrounding the damaged piece. Generally once the board is out and you have cleaned around the existing tongue and groove you can cut the bottom half of the groove and glue the new piece in place. Hope this helps and be sure to ask if you need more specific info.
julesM33
Author Image

Whew....I'm exhausted from reading that lol. I think I will call a pro for this. Thanks for the explanation.
MrsKosha
Author Image

No problem. If you change your mind and decide to DIY check out this article www.findanyfloor.com/article/Repa...
Our members have made a total of 10824 posts
We have 5840 registered members
The newest member is samirhussain0618
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>