flooring forums

Forums Home > Repair > Hardwood > restore shine to HW floor after using wrong cleaning product
restore shine to HW floor after using wrong cleaning product
Replies for restore shine to HW floor after using wrong cleaning product
shannon526
Author Image
Posted: April 6, 2009 9:34 AM

We had our hardwood kitchen floor refinished less than a month ago.  We had it stained ebony w/3 coats of poly.  I've cleaned it w/Bona.  Yesterday while overtired and rushing to get out of the house i pulled the wrong product out of the pantry (JOMAX) cleaned the floor and left.  came back several hours later to realize my mistake!  I quickly cleaned w/the Bona, then murphey's oil soap.  But the shine is just not what it was.  HELP....WHAT DO I DO?
Shannon
administrator
Author Image

RE: restore shine to HW floor after using wrong cleaning product
Shannon,

After cleaning the Murphys Oil Soap (which we dont recommend) off the floor, have you tried the Bona Hardwood Floor Mop again? If so, and the problem still persists, you are probably going to need to sand and refinish the floor. Now, the good news is that you probably dont have to sand the floor all the way down to the wood and start again with 3 coats of poly as you did before. You can do what is called a screen and coat. This will essentially take off the top layer of finish proving a smooth, clean surface for the new coat of poly to stick to.

If you don't do this yourself, it is far less expensive for a flooring pro to come in and do versus doing a full sand and refinish.

There are products on the market in which you dont have to sand or screen at all. They are made to just go over your existing finish. If this is something you are interested in, please contact us at info@findanyfloor.com and we will get you in touch with the company that sells this product so that you can get it delivered to your home.

Hope this helps.

shannon526
Author Image
Posted: April 6, 2009 10:54 AM

What do you recommend using to remove the murphey's oil soap?

If re apply the Bona and it does not work, can you send me the info for the products that we do not need to sand or screen?
Shannon
MrsKosha
Author Image

Hi Shannon,

At add to what the admin said, I found this link www.zinsser.com/pdf/TDB/jomaxmmstd... which is a technial sheet on Jomax.  It says that the residue left behind can be removed with soap and water.  I would be hesitant to tell you to take any old soap and water and try to clean your hardwood as you will probably end up with a whole new mess.  I have has success in removing the Murphy's Oil Soap and Orange Glo residue off hardwood floors by using a solution of vinegar and water (2 cups vinegar to a gallon of water).  You have to be careful not to get the floors too wet as you don't want the water to sit long enough for your hardwood to absorb it or for it to seep into cracks.  I would try this if the Bona hardwod cleaner doesn't work. If those don't work, let us know and we will go from there.

Stacey
RickyJohnston
Author Image
Posted: December 23, 2015 9:24 AM

Quote:
Hi Shannon,

At add to what the admin said, I found this link www.zinsser.com/pdf/TDB/jomaxmmstd... which is a technial sheet on Jomax.  It says that the residue left behind can be removed with soap and water.  I would be hesitant to tell you to take any old soap and water and try to clean your hardwood as you will probably end up with a whole new mess.  I have has success in removing the Murphy's Oil Soap and Orange Glo residue off hardwood floors by using a solution of vinegar and water (2 cups vinegar to a gallon of water).  You have to be careful not to get the floors too wet as you don't want the water to sit long enough for your hardwood to absorb it or for it to seep into cracks.  I would try this if the Bona hardwod cleaner doesn't work. If those don't work, let us know and we will go from there.

Stacey

this on is good happy to read it

biayaumroh.org
Our members have made a total of 10012 posts
We have 5584 registered members
The newest member is bcfloorrestorers
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>