flooring forums

Forums Home > Repair > Tile > 16" tile with large chip
16" tile with large chip
Replies for 16" tile with large chip
StBernard
Author Image

Hello, a friend recommended me to this forum. I have a 16 inch tile with a large chip in it and want to replace it. What is the best way of going about this? What tools will I need? Thanks in advance for your help!
-Reynolds
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: August 19, 2008 9:27 PM

RE: 16" tile with large chip
Hmmm... Well are you handy? If so then you should be able to do this without the expense of hiring a professional like me. Hopefully, you are dealing with a full tile and not one that has to be cut. If it does have to be cut than hopefully, it is a straight cut and not a fancy cut.

Assuming it is a full tile here is a list of tools you will need:

1. Safety Goggles
2. Leather gloves
3. Grout scraper
4. Hammer
5. Wide and narrow chisels (2"-3" chisel, .25"-1" chisel)
6. Shop Vac
7. Square notch trowel

Wear your safety goggles and leather gloves. First, using your grout scraper, scrape the grout out around the tile to be replaced. This will relieve the tension between surrounding tiles. Second, using your large chisel and hammer, chisel out a corner of your tile. Next, chisel out the remaining section of tile. These tile fragments will be razor sharp so do wear gloves and handle with care. Next chisel away the remaining thinset, being careful to not disturb the surrounding tiles. Finally, clean up the dust with your shop vac. Reapply the new tile with thinset, wait 24 hours then grout in. Good luck!

If your tile needs to be cut, you may need to rent a wet saw or straight manual cutter. Now if you have to rent a wet saw anyway, why not just skip the hassle and hire a pro?
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
StBernard
Author Image

That sounds easy enough to do. I'm going to the store to get everything I need so besides what you listed, I will only need grout and thinset (I already have extra tiles), right? Do you have any tips for making sure that the grout matches?
-Reynolds
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: August 20, 2008 10:02 AM

Yes, you don't need a lot of tools, but it is important to scrape up the old thinset clean. Ideally, you would have some leftover grout stored in a ziptop bag. If not, try to find out the exact brand and color or grout that was used. If this is not possible then the best that you can do is bring home a few grout charts from different manufacturers and go with the closest match.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Our members have made a total of 10869 posts
We have 5846 registered members
The newest member is guptakomal
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>