flooring forums

Forums Home > Repair > Tile > Muriatic acid to remove stains
Muriatic acid to remove stains
Replies for Muriatic acid to remove stains
Jenny
Author Image

I have deep stains on my ceramic that I have been told only Muriatic acid will remove. can i do this myself? If so, can someone walk me thorough safely and correctly using this product?
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: August 19, 2008 9:05 PM

RE: Muriatic acid to remove stains
I would NOT use Muriatic acid. A much safer approach would be to use sulfamic acid crystals that you dissolve in water. Here is an example.

www.miraclesealants.com/c_sulfamic...

The procedure is not difficult but it is imperative that you follow the manufacturer's safety guidelines. Adequate ventilation, safety goggles, rubber gloves, and an appropriate respirator are recommended. Dissolve the crystals in water, following the measurements on the container.

The general application involves saturating the floor with plain water, then applying the newly mixed acid solution to the floor with an acid brush. Use one that fits on the end of a broom handle. You want to be standing up, rather than on your hands and knees. Finally, rinse and mop a few times with fresh water. If you are still in doubt whether you want to tackle this yourself, I would recommend getting a professional to do the job.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Jenny
Author Image

Michael, I checked out that site. Do you know if I can use this product to just clean one spot, or does it have to be an all-over application?
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: September 10, 2008 4:59 PM

Yes, you can certainly spot treat as needed.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Jenny
Author Image

Hi Michael.  I finally got around to doing this and the sulfamic acid worked wonders. Just thought I would let you know.  I greatly appreciate your help!
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: January 26, 2009 10:56 AM

Hello Jenny,

Glad I could help. Clean grout makes the entire floor look much nicer.

Our members have made a total of 10824 posts
We have 5840 registered members
The newest member is samirhussain0618
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>