flooring forums

Forums Home > Repair > Tile > cracking outdoor porcelain
cracking outdoor porcelain
Replies for cracking outdoor porcelain
Ernest46
Author Image

Several of my procelain tiles on my outside deck are cracking. What would be causing this?
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: October 7, 2008 11:05 PM

RE: cracking outdoor porcelain
What type of subfloor do you have? If concrete, than you likely have a slab crack that is transferring to your tile. 
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Ernest46
Author Image

I have them on a concrete slab, but it wasn't cracked when I laid the tile on there.  It may have cracked now, but the tiles are cracked in several different areas, so my concrete would have to have many crack as well, right?  I wouldn't think that it is likely as there were no cracks when I laid the tile about two years ago. Any advice is appreciated!
MichaelPrachniak
Author Image
Posted: October 9, 2008 10:06 PM

Was the slab fairly new when you put the tiles down? I am assuming that a crack isolation membrane was not used. It is always recommended when tiling over concrete slabs as slab cracks can happen at any time. You mentioned that the tiles are cracked in several different areas. It is possible to have several slab cracks develop. Normally, though, with slab cracks transferring to tile, you can see the progression of the crack across the tiles. Sometimes, however, some tiles crack while others don't. That is because the bond has been broken between the tile and the slab before the tile had a chance to crack. You can tell by knocking on the tiles. If it sounds hollow, the bond has been broken, but your tile has been spared of a crack.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - Tile Productions

Check out FAF''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
LonnieGarvey
Author Image
Posted: September 16, 2016 8:11 AM

Hi, thank you for the question, I completely agree with Michael for his analysis and reliable solution. I think firstly it should be analysed for proper implementations. Good luck!
Our members have made a total of 9992 posts
We have 5577 registered members
The newest member is suzhe345
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>